Radiation Invades Cycle of Life Through Fallen Leaves

Submitted by SadInAmerica on Sat, 10/01/2011 - 4:19pm.



"It's what happens in fall. It's the time for leaves to change their home ... Everything dies. No matter how big or small, how weak or strong. We first do our job. We experience the sun and the moon, the wind and rain. We learn to dance and to laugh. Then we die," Daniel, the left, tells friend Freddie in "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" authored by Leo Buscaglia.

The story is about the cycle of life shown by leaves that fall with the arrival of winter and return to the soil. Leaves aren't the only things that eventually return to the soil.

"Does the tree die, too?" Freddie asks.

"Someday," Daniel replies. "But there is something stronger than the tree. It is life. That lasts forever and we are all a part of life."

As a result of the ongoing crisis at the tsunami-hit Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, radioactive substances have invaded the cycle of life through fallen leaves.

The contamination of leaf soil used for gardening has become a major social problem, and high levels of radiation have been detected in areas where there are concentrations of fallen leaves, causing concern among local residents.

At the same time, some experts hope that if fallen leaves in which radioactive substances can easily accumulate are removed, it will help decontaminate forests efficiently.

A survey conducted by a study team at the Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry shows that 90 percent of radioactive cesium that spread to broad-leave tree forests from the crippled nuclear plant was accumulated in fallen leaves while only 10 percent infiltrated into the soil.

Another survey by the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry shows that the amount of radiation at forests declined by up to 50 percent after workers removed fallen leaves that contained toxic foreign substances.

Still, countless "Freddies" that sacrificed themselves to protect the forests and people may proudly say, "We did our job for the forests and people." In sharp contrast, how sinful and shameful humans are even though they are also part of the cycle of life?


October 1, 2011 - MainichiJapan


Tag this page!
Submitted by SadInAmerica on Sat, 10/01/2011 - 4:19pm.